In 1953, a group of progressive parents founded the All Austin Cooperative Nursery School with the purpose of providing a racially integrated, educationally sound learning environment for their children. AACNS was one of the first progressive preschools established in the state of Texas. Over the years, AACNS expanded and developed into a family-centered school, continuing to maintain a policy of nondiscrimination with regard to race, religion, color, and national origin. It was many years, however, before the Co-op was able to realize its dream of owning a space of its own. Finally, in 2002, on the eve of its 50th anniversary, AACNS purchased, renovated, and moved into a building designed solely for the use of young children and their families.